Sunday, May 31, 2015

Jumping The Gun

As in the past Dr. Preston has had us write out what we think we deserve in the class and what we've done in the class to earn what we think we deserve, I'm getting ahead and doing that now. Honestly, I deserve an A in this class because of my vision for my education, and my work ethic to take me there. Throughout school I've been a naturally better than average writer, probably because I do write recreationally, so this year I wasn't focused on that at all. I also wasn't focused on lit terms and vocal words- though it wouldn't have hurt in any way to be focused on them because widening your vocabulary is always a good thing. The other main thing I wasn't focused on was, quite frankly, the grade (or at least I wasn't worried about it- out of arrogance or confidence I'm not sure). All in all, I wasn't focused on the "English inside the classroom" scene, I was more looking outward and beyond high school already. This year I started writing a book about the ethics i think a high school student should, in some way, shape, or form, come to know throughout their pilgrimage, I made friends with an author who inspired the type of novel I wrote, and I put myself out there by showing more people my personal blog and sharing this novel. These things aren't measurable in the standard grading system, but in a rough computation I would say an A would be fair. I am only lucky that what I focused on actually related to English (though if you're the right person, everything relates to English) otherwise, what I spent my time doing would have nothing to do with AP Literature & Composition and I would have used that class as an excuse to further my time spent into other hobbies. But like I said, it's a good thing what I focused on actually related to English. It's also a good thing that this class isn't graded on the average grading scale. Hence me giving myself a grade and explaining why I deserve it. Above all, I learned a new kind of control. The control you have over yourself to stay calm and work with what you have instead of finding an enemy and fighting them. At this point in my life, I couldn't think of anything more valuable since I spent a good amount of my education just arguing with my teachers because I was frustrated that I wasn't being challenged or that (I thought) I was being unfairly challenged (when you get down to the root of it). Anyway, I earned an 'A' this year and it may not make sense entirely because I made up my own guidelines for me earning an 'A', but sometimes you just gotta be like water and flow with it.

1 comment:

  1. Imanie, thank you for anticipating my question and sharing your observations. You have consistently impressed me as a thoughtful person who shares her perspectives in a way that enriches her reading/listening audience, and this post is another example. The fact that you took full advantage of the freedom in our learning environment to pursue a deeper understanding of ethics says a lot about your intellect and your character; I am glad we had the chance to work together. Your achievements are a bright spot in what has been a challenging year for all of us; I agree with your grading evaluation and I look forward to reading your book! All the best, Dr. Preston

    ReplyDelete