Thursday, August 21, 2014

Vocabulary #1

Definitions:
adumbrate - verb give to understand; describe roughly or briefly or give the main points or summary of
apotheosis - noun the elevation of a person (as to the status of a god); model of excellence or perfection of a kind; one having no equal
ascetic - adj. practicing great self-denial;pertaining to or characteristic of an ascetic or the practice of rigorous self-discipline; nounsomeone who practices self denial as a spiritual discipline
bauble - noun a mock scepter carried by a court jester; cheap showy jewelry or ornament on clothing
beguile - verb attract; cause to be enamored;influence by slyness
burgeon - verb grow and flourish
complement - noun something added to complete or make perfect; either of two parts that mutually complete each other; a word or phrase used to complete a grammatical construction; number needed to make up a whole force; a complete number or quantity;one of a series of enzymes in the blood serum that are part of the immune response; verbmake complete or perfect; supply what is wanting or form the complement to
contumacious - adj. wilfully obstinate; stubbornly disobedient
curmudgeon - noun a crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas
didactic - adj. instructive (especially excessively)
disingenuous - adj. not straightforward or candid; giving a false appearance of frankness
exculpate - verb pronounce not guilty of criminal charges
faux - adj. not genuine or real; being an imitation of the genuine article
pas - noun (ballet) a step in dancing (especially in classical ballet)
fulminate - noun a salt or ester of fulminic acid;verb cause to explode violently and with loud noise; come on suddenly and intensely; criticize severely
fustian - noun a strong cotton and linen fabric with a slight nap; pompous or pretentious talk or writing
hauteur - noun overbearing pride evidenced by a superior manner toward inferiors
inhibit - verb limit the range or extent of; to put down by force or authority
jeremiad - noun a long and mournful complaint
opportunist - adj. taking immediate advantage, often unethically, of any circumstance of possible benefit; noun a person who places expediency above principle
unconscionable - adj. greatly exceeding bounds of reason or moderation; lacking a conscience

Use of definitions:
This summer taking adumbrate notes helped me be able to quickly review and reference the pieces of literature we read over the summer in my essays. Within the first week of school this year it's easy to say I complemented myself in thinking of myself in an apotheosis way last year because of the great ease of my classes. This year I will definitely have to live a more ascetic lifestyle (because Dr.Preston isn't overly didactic) in order to burgeon as an academic scholar; my greatest challenge will be getting over my contumacious  behavior. I wouldn't want to disingenuous, nor would I want to  grow up to be a curmudgeon person- bitter from school. Reading the history section of our literature book in class made me think of it as some kind of bauble to a real textbook of literature. This class seems faux, or better yet- surreal in the extent of leash given to the students. I hope to learn random, general life things and obscure words to add into my vocabulary like exculpate, pas, and fustian. I also hope to not run into any hauteur classmates, but if I were to, I would be sure to not let them inhibit my path of education. Now this may sound like a jeremiad monologue, but I am trying to be the best opportunist I can be and not be unconscionable of my actions, now and this year into the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment